Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Some Somber News

This is a request for prayers. A friend of mine from college passed away yesterday. She was diagnosed with leukemia just over a year ago, and died due to illness/complications of bone marrow transplant. Having a child of my own now has given me a very different perspective on the way it must feel to lose a child, so please please send up your thoughts and prayers to her family. Also, she was supposed to have married her long time boyfriend in September of last year, but was too ill and the ceremony was postponed. For all intents and purposes, her fiance was essentially her husband; I can't fathom that kind of loss either, so please pray for peace and comfort for him as well. I will always remember her fun-loving spirit and her loyalty to her friends. I'm thankful she can finally be at peace, but I pray for all those who knew her, love her, and miss her.

When I got the news that she was very ill yesterday, Jake was on my lap. I started crying, and he looked at me with a strange expression. Then he grabbed my cheeks and gave me a big sloppy kiss on the lips, and said "Ok, Mama." When I asked if we could say a prayer for mommy's friend, he said (very enthusiastically) "Yeah!" So we did the Sign of the Cross together, said a Hail Mary, and prayed for her. He said all of the "Amen"s. Then we snuggled and listened to our music together. Something in my faith tells me that she knows a little boy was praying very earnestly for her, along with hundreds of other people, and I hope it gave her some peace.

May God bless all of you, and God bless Rachel.

No comments:

Post a Comment