Sunday, May 31, 2009

Med School Graduation

On May 15, 2009 I finally achieved the goal I'd set for myself when I was three years old: I became a doctor of medicine! Now, this accomplishment certainly isn't entirely my own. So many people contributed to my experiences that led me to this point, and I owe a sincere thank you to all of you. To the friends who listened to me complain from high school through college and med school about the trials and who supported me through the good times and the difficult ones, thank you. I could not have done this without you. To my family: thank you for always pushing me to be the best I could, for supporting me when the unexpected occured (whether it was babies or career path changes or other hurdles), and for loving me regardless of what happened. And to my amazing husband: words cannot express my gratitude. You've walked with me through this entire journey, from undergraduate classes to the MCAT to applying to medical school and agreeing to come to Milwaukee with nothing but our love. You made a name for yourself at WisTax and Marquette, all the while helping to support me financially and emotionally. You took on your responsibilities as a father with more grace than I'd expect from anyone, especially given that many months you had more than your fair share of baths to give and diapers to change. You are an incredible father. And when crisis hit and career plans changed you supported me unconditionally in whatever I chose to do (but we're all thankful that I'll actually utilize my degree doing something I'll enjoy - pathology ;)). As much as I went through medical school, so did you. And you still came out thriving as a top law student despite the pressures of being a student, being a father, and being married to a medical student. You are amazing, and I cannot express my gratitude or how much I love you.

Enough of the mush. Enjoy the pics below (more to come from Grandma Sue in the next few weeks), most are of my fellow new physicians and me.

Dr. Bruce "BJ" Lanser, Pediatrician
*met BJ through CMA, and we collaborated with some other Catholic med students to set up some prayer times and discussion groups. It's been carried on by younger med students, which is exciting! BJ will complete his residency at UT Southwestern.

Dr. Lauren Flewellen, Family Practitioner
*Lauren and I started studying together during first year from time to time, then we both became moms during medical school. She's married to a PhD student, Tim (great guy) and her little girl Lily is almost a year old now! Lauren will be completing her residency in family medicine at Waukesha Family Medicine Residency Program.

Dr. Danita Hahn, Pediatrician
*D and I met actually during our interview at MCW as college seniors. At the time, both our last names started with "A" so we were paired up during the interview. She happened to attend ND, which got us talking since Ryan went there as well. She was also newly engaged. Jeez, it seems like that was yesterday. Now, her son is over nine months old. Danita will be completing her residency at Children's Hospital of Wisconsin here in Milwaukee.

Dr. David Coons, Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
*Dave and I also met during our interview at MCW. Outgoing and friendly, Dave's a tough guy to forget, and I'm happy we have remained friends through school. He has a beautiful family - his wife is amazing, and he has three adorable little girls. He's been a great person to talk to for family advice, and just to shoot the breeze with. He'll be completing an internship year here at Froedtert, then will move to Denver for his PM&R residency.

Dr. Kellie Stetcher, Obstetrics & Gynecology
*Kellie and I became acquaintences during second year, but really became good friends during third and fourth year. Bright with a cutting sense of humor, Kellie can always make me laugh, and she's a great venting partner for those frustrating days. She'll be completing her residency in obstetrics and gynecology at Grand Rapids MI.

My parents, Jake, and me. Wow that's one heck of a smile. And man this angle makes me look super chubby and pregnant!

And finally, Jake and me rushing off after the ceremony. Rushing was something we've done a lot of over the last few years, but alway swith a hint of a smile (as in this picture).

No comments:

Post a Comment